[REPU] Board Post Reply: how to upgrade to 2nd gen alternator?

From: Daemon user for apache (wwwrun@rotor.mazzella.org)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 11:09:39 PST

A New Post has Been made to the thread [how to upgrade to 2nd gen alternator?]
User From: Jeff20B

I installed a 1st gen 50 amp alt a few years ago in my REPU. Then just recently I installed a 2nd gen 55 amp alt. I went back to the 50 amp a couple months ago so the smaller 55 amp alt could be used in a rotary project car.

There is a T shaped connector on the back of the alts from around '81 to '88. The later higher amp units had a different style, but they're still easy to hook up if you know which wire goes where (I don't know off the top of my head). There is a diagram floating around the net which shows you the differences. Maybe somebody else will know. Anyway, I was lucky that both my alts are so close to 50 amps that I didn't need to mess with the fuse (It's just a strip of lead of appropriate thickness). I don't plan on running aircraft landing lights or a high power amp anytime soon, so I think I'll be ok.

Here is a pic of where my voltage regulator used to be. I jumpered the wires that used to go to the reg (seen in the green circle). This allowed me to keep using the stock wires and all I had to do was splice in a T shaped connector where the 4 way one used to be. The T shaped connector consists of one wire which goes to the 'G' dash light. The other goes to the key (on) switch. The fat battery wire remains unchanged.
[img]http://www.mazdarepu.com/Gallery/uploads/connector.jpg[/img]
By the way, if you're curious, the thing sitting where the voltage reg used to be is my ignitor heat sink.

Go Here to Reply: http://www.mazdarepu.com/board/viewthread.php3?FID=1&TID=369